Rig Exploit Kit via EiTest campaign delivers Mole ransomware
- Today I captured traffic from the Rig Exploit Kit (EK) which delivered Mole ransomware via the EITEST campaign.
- Files on the infected host were encrypted and the file extensions were changed to .MOLE
- Thanks to @nao_sec for tweeting information on compromised site
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password for the zipped pcap is infected all lowercase.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- www.1tajrobe.com – COMPROMISED SITE
- 126.96.36.199 – add.thebestofwichitadirectory.com – RIG EK LANDING PAGE
- 188.8.131.52 – POST /p/info-static.php – MOLE RANSOMWARE CHECK-IN
ASSOCIATED EMAILS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site associated with the EiTest campaign which redirects visitors to the Rig EK landing page – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH RIG EXPLOIT: