Rig Exploit Kit via the EiTest delivers CryptoShield ransomware
- Today I captured traffic from the Rig Exploit Kit (EK) which delivered CryptoShield ransomware via the EITEST campaign.
- Files on the infected host were encrypted and the file extensions were changed to .WCT.CRYPTOSHIELD .
- The Rig exploit kit is making use of DNS Shadowing as explained in a sucuri.net blog post Website Malware – Evolution of Pseudo Darkleech.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password for the zipped pcap is infected all lowercase.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- cedar.igrooveweb.com – COMPROMISED SITE
- 220.127.116.11 – marfa.cholesterolwatchers.net – RIG EK LANDING PAGE
- 18.104.22.168 – POST /test_site_scripts/moduls/traffic/get_info.php – CRYPTOSHIELD C2
ASSOCIATED EMAILS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
firstname.lastname@example.org – SUPPORT;
email@example.com – SUPPORT RESERVE FIRST;
firstname.lastname@example.org – SUPPORT RESERVE SECOND;
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site associated with the EiTest campaign which redirects visitors to the Rig EK landing page – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
Shown above: After extracting Rig flash exploit and saving as .swf file, decompiled using Flare (http://www.nowrap.de/flare.html) and examined flash meta data with text editor.
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH RIG EXPLOIT: