Rig Exploit Kit via pseudoDarkleech from 18.104.22.168 delivers Cerber ransomware
- Today I captured traffic from the latest version of Cerber ransomware. The ransomware was delivered via the pseudoDarkleech campaign with use of the Rig Exploit Kit.
- The injection method was an Iframe, as mentioned in a post on SANS Internet Storm Center forum Change in patterns for the pseudoDarkleech campaign.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password for the zipped pcap is infected all lowercase.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- hungergamesthemovie.com – COMPROMISED SITE
- 22.214.171.124 – re.heathermike.net – RIG EK LANDING PAGE
- 126.96.36.199 – ffoqr3ug7m726zou.zn90h4.bid – CERBER POST INFECT TRAFFIC
- 188.8.131.52 – btc.blockr.io – CERBER POST INFECT TRAFFIC
- 184.108.40.206 – 220.127.116.11 UDP Port 6892 – CERBER POST INFECT TRAFFIC
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site which redirects visitor to the Rig EK landing page to start infection chain – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH RIG EXPLOIT: