Rig Exploit Kit via pseudoDarkleech delivers Cerber Ransomware
- Today I captured traffic from the latest version of Cerber ransomware. The ransomware was delivered via the pseudoDarkleech campaign with use of the Rig Exploit Kit.
- The injection method was an Iframe, as mentioned in a post on SANS Internet Storm Center forum Change in patterns for the pseudoDarkleech campaign.
- It appears the pseudoDarkleech campaign has switched from CrypMic ransomware to Cerber ransomware.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password is the usual used by malware researchers. If you do not know it please email me.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- casanovaturne.hu – COMPROMISED SITE
- 220.127.116.11 – re.flighteducationfinancecompany.com – RIG EK LANDING PAGE
- 18.104.22.168 – btc.blockr.io – CERBER POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
- 22.214.171.124 – ffoqr3ug7m726zou.6tjvli.bid – CERBER POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
- 126.96.36.199 – 188.8.131.52 UDP Port 6892 – CERBER POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site which redirects visitor to the Rig EK landing page to start infection chain – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH RIG EXPLOIT: