Rig Exploit Kit via pseudoDarkleech from delivers CrypMic Ransomware – New CnC
- Today I captured traffic from the latest version of CrypMic ransomware. The ransomware was delivered via the pseudoDarkleech campaign with use of the Rig Exploit Kit.
- The injection method was an Iframe, as mentioned in a post on SANS Internet Storm Center forum Change in patterns for the pseudoDarkleech campaign.
- CrypMic continues to send its ransom notes over SSL port 443 in clear text.
- CrypMic is no longer using vssadmin.exe to delete the Windows shadow copy.
- CrypMic is now sending its payload as an .EXE executable file
- I was not able to complete the CryptMic infection without refreshing the web browser 3 times.
- The same flash exploit file was sent each time I refreshed the web browser however the malicious payloads were different.
- CrypMic has changed its Command and Control from IP address 22.214.171.124 to 126.96.36.199
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password is the usual used by malware researchers. If you do not know it please email me.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- www.completekitchenunits.co.uk – COMPROMISED SITE
- 188.8.131.52 – asytahigroskopie.ezfitheadwear.com – Rig EK LANDING PAGE
- 184.108.40.206 – Port 443 – Clear Text – CnC Check-In POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
[AS16276 OVH , FR France Roubaix Ovh Sas]
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site which redirects visitor to the Rig EK landing page to start infection chain – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH RIG EXPLOIT: