Neutrino Exploit Kit via pseudoDarkleech delivers CrypMic Ransomware
- Today I captured traffic from the latest version of CrypMic ransomware. The ransomware was delivered via the pseudoDarkleech campaign with use of the Neutrino Exploit Kit.
- The injection method was an Iframe, as mentioned in a post on SANS Internet Storm Center forum Change in patterns for the pseudoDarkleech campaign.
- The pseudoDarkleech campaign is making use of DNS Shadowing as explained in a sucuri.net blog post Website Malware – Evolution of Pseudo Darkleech.
- CrypMic continues to send its ransom notes over SSL port 443 in clear text.
- CrypMic is no longer using vssadmin.exe to delete the Windows shadow copy.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password is the usual used by malware researchers. If you do not know it please email me.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- 22.214.171.124 – supininguneuwied.shiaduas.org – Neutrino EK LANDING PAGE
- 126.96.36.199 – Port 443 – Clear Text – CnC Check-In POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH NEUTRINO EXPLOIT: