Neutrino EK via pseudoDarkleech delivers CrypMic Ransomware – New CnC
- Today I captured traffic from the latest version of CrypMic ransomware. The ransomware was delivered via the pseudoDarkleech campaign with use of the Neutrino Exploit Kit.
- The injection method was an Iframe, as mentioned in a post on SANS Internet Storm Center forum Change in patterns for the pseudoDarkleech campaign.
- The pseudoDarkleech campaign is making use of DNS Shadowing as explained in a sucuri.net blog post Website Malware – Evolution of Pseudo Darkleech.
- Today I noticed an IP address change in CrypMic’s Command and Control from 22.214.171.124 to 126.96.36.199.
- CrypMic continues to send its ransom notes over SSL port 443 in clear text.
- CrypMic is no longer using vssadmin.exe to delete the Windows shadow copy.
I have added a zipped pcap file for your analysis. The password is the usual used by malware researchers. If you do not know it please email me.
PCAP file of the infection traffic:
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS AND IP ADDRESSES:
- 188.8.131.52 – exotenvo.4dwin.com – Neutrino EK LANDING PAGE
- 184.108.40.206 – Port 443 – Clear Text – C2 Check-In – POST INFECTION TRAFFIC
ASSOCIATED DOMAINS FOR RANSOM PAYMENT:
IMAGES AND DETAILS OF INFECTION CHAIN:
Shown above: Injected script found on index page of compromised site which redirects visitor to the Neutrino EK landing page to start infection chain – Web page source code can be found by right clicking on web page and selecting “View source”
MALICIOUS PAYLOAD ASSOCIATED WITH NEUTRINO EXPLOIT: